Slate tile is one of the most desirable types of stone flooring available to homeowners today. If you are shopping around for natural stone tile for your Austin home, our team of experts at Floor Coverings International Austin can help you compare slate and other tile products!
Benefits of Slate Tile
- Aesthetics: One of the biggest advantages of slate tile is the beauty derived from this natural product. Slate can range in color from dark gray to rust red to forest green. It also has a matte surface and slightly uneven texture that clearly identify it as natural stone.
- Durability: Slate happens to be one of the strongest stone flooring materials available. Therefore, as one would expect, it is inherently durable. It is also resistant to breaks, scratches, chips and cracks.
- Long-Term Investment: If slate tile is maintained correctly, it can last for decades. In addition, while slate is a bit expensive initially, the added value it gives to a home can increase its overall value, making it a good long-term investment.
Drawbacks of Slate Tile
- Quality Varies: Being a natural material, this flooring is subject to the environment in which it’s installed. The quality of the product can also change based upon where the slate is mined. High-quality slate is durable and resistant to staining, as mentioned above. However, the lower quality variety is more prone to staining. To determine the quality of slate available in Austin, it’s a good idea to consult a professional.
- Requires Maintenance: Homeowners must have their slate flooring sealed on a regular basis to ensure it ages well. This will protect it against stains and keep it looking great for decades.
Slate tile is an ideal high-end flooring option that looks amazing and lasts for decades when properly maintained. Call Floor Coverings International Austin to find a variety of slate tile products for your Austin home!
You might also be interested in:
Photo © John Wollwerth